Looking to sell your investment property? We specialise in selling tenanted properties to our network of 30,000 investors. For more detailsClick here

Looking to sell your investment property?Click here

A landlords guide to renting to student tenants

Published: 1st April 2019

A landlords guide to renting to student tenants

Student accommodation basically comes in two forms. There is purpose-built student accommodation, the modern (and very modernised) equivalent of what used to be called "halls of residence" and residential properties which just happen to be let out to students.

Some of these properties will be Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) and some will be let out in their entirety to sharers who just happen to be students. PBSA is classed as commercial property and so works to a slightly different set of rules than residential buy-to-let, but, otherwise, student lettings work on a similar basis to standard residential lettings, albeit with a few key points it’s important to note.

You should always check whether or not you need a licence

The government has set out a basic definition for HMOs, however, this is a minimum standard to which local authorities can and do add their own further criteria. There are a number of reasons why local authorities may take a particular interest in landlords who are letting to the student population, many of which probably revolve around the need for local authorities to balance the fact that students can be excellent income-generators for an area with the fact that not everyone wants to live next door to houses full of energetic young adults.

You should be aware that you could be held liable for council tax and the TV licence

In principle, council tax should not be an issue for those letting only to students because students do not pay it (although, as always, rules can change). If, however, a single non-student goes to live in the property, then the entire home becomes liable for council tax and if the residents neglect to pay it, then you, as the landlord, could find yourself being chased for it. Students are liable to pay TV licences and a licence is per household not per property (e.g. each household in an HMO would need its own licence). It may therefore be worth your while to include the cost of the licence in your rent to ensure it is paid.

You may need to work with student bodies to be recognised as an approved landlord

This needn’t be a big issue, but is likely to involve some paperwork and possibly an on-property inspection.

You should probably take it as read that a property will need to be furnished and serviced

Students are not going to want to spend a lot of their own money furnishing a property in which they know they are only going to live for a year or two, likewise they are not going to want the hassle of arranging utilities. It’s also worth remembering that organizing the furniture and utilities yourself will give you control over them and ensure, for example, that they do not bring problems into the house (e.g. a second-hand mattress with bed bugs).

An old-fashioned notice board can go a long way to making a property easier to manage

In addition to being a place to display mandatory information (e.g. fire-safety certificates), an old-fashioned notice board can be a useful “command centre” to provide answers to any questions your tenants might have or to be a place for them to check for any information you want/need to give them.

If you would like to discuss any investment opportunities or are looking to sell your investment, feel free to call us on 0161 464 7530 or email us on enquiries@pureinvestor.co.uk

Back to News

Need some help? Request a FREE call back today.

Whether you're a seasoned investor or considering your first property investment, our experienced team are here to help. Arrange a FREE call back from one of our team!

Free Call Back

Call our team today on +44 (0) 161 337 3890

Pure Investor - Property Investment